The capability improvements introduced by the POSEIDON project concerning maritime and environmental control and protection are:
- POSEIDON will reduce the costs of visual inspection from aerial means, due to the reduction of fuel costs, personnel costs for observation and aircraft piloting.
- Using of UAVs provides a good trade-off between coverage and resolution compared to other platforms. In fact, satellite imagery offers very wide coverage but much lower spatial and temporal resolution and ship-borne sensors allow for very close range monitoring, but this is at the expense of lower coverage.
- Automated image analysis reduces personnel costs dedicated to off-line image inspection and it provides enhanced capabilities related to repeatability of results, geo-localization, and size estimation.
- Multi-sensor image analysis will improve performance regarding individual sensors separately, in terms of lower false alarm rate and higher probability of detection, as well as extended capabilities.
- The modular architecture will ease system reconfiguration depending on operational requirements. It will also result in a scalable system, where other sensing technologies may be incorporated in the future.
POSEIDON will have the following social and environmental impacts:
- Reduction of environmental impact through precise, economical, and reliable debris detection with shorter response times.
- Reduction of risks and improvement of working conditions of staff in emergency situations, as POSEIDON will provide situation assessment of the area previous to displacement of the specialized forces.
- Contribution to maintain marine fauna and flora through a more recurrent inspection of industries’ surroundings.
- Increase quality of life of marine fauna, flora and surrounding birds. Response time of waste and debris cleaning will be shortened, given the facility to scan marine zones for residues. In coastal zones, citizens doing maritime activities will also benefit from this advantage.
- Creation of new specialized employments for maritime surveillance based on new technologies for sea pollution detection.